How to get rid of age spots
Spots on the face or other body parts as you are reaching your mid twenties are a common phenomenon. These spots are harmless but they tend to make you look older and ugly.
Follow the natural and medicinal tips and techniques listed below to get rid of age spots.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Age Spots
- Lemon therapy – Cut one lemon into wedges and place the pieces one by one on the age spots while rubbing gently. Repeat this process at least twice daily.
- Make a paste using cucumber and mint leaves in a grinder. Apply the paste on the face and wash off with cold water after fifteen minutes. The mask should not be applied on the face for more than two days a week.
- Mix four tablespoons of buttermilk with two teaspoons of tomato juice. Apply this mixture on the face and leave for at least twenty minutes before washing off with normal water.
- Apply grapeseed oil or shea butter on the spots of the skin. Regular application for at least six weeks helps to lighten age spots.
Medicinal Ways to Get Rid of Age Spots
- Kojic acid, hydroquinone and glycolic acid are effective in erasing age spots which are light colored. These acids help to accelerate the process of defoliation of the skin.
- Cyrotherapy – In this treatment, liquid nitrogen is applied on the age spots in order to get rid of the melanin that leads to the formation of spots.
- Dermabrasion – In this treatment, a doctor will use a brush to remove the outer layer of skin that bears the age spots. A new layer of skin, with no spots, starts growing immediately after the operation.
- Laser therapy – Heat is used to remove the excess melanin that has accumulated on the skin surface to get rid of spots.
- Over the counter creams – Anti ageing creams are manufactured by different cosmetic brands. These creams can be applied on the face twice everyday to get rid of spots and age marks.
Precautions to be taken
- Use a sunscreen lotion of SPF 15 every time you step out in the sun. The lotion must be applied on the face, hands and neck.
- After you have attained the age of 30 it is advisable not to venture out in the afternoon sun.
- Age spots are often the result of improper liver function. Hence alcohol consumption must be kept low to ensure a healthy liver.
- Your daily diet determines the occurrence or removal of age spots on the skin. Green vegetables, nuts, calcium products and fish must be consumed everyday.
- Always wear clothes that keep the body covered, hats and sunglasses if you are in the sun, especially during the summer season.